Thursday 22 December 2011

She Has Arrived...

I have been expectant and for far too long. It has taken nine months and now she is finally here. Oh! How I have longed for thee! Nine months ago, I toyed with the idea of getting her but I had to be sure I could afford her. After a lot of thinking and consultation I figured at the time I really couldn’t. Three months later this idea kept growing bigger in my head but I pushed it aside as our huge electricity and gas bill had just arrived. That same month Aberdeen City Council was threatening to take us to court because we hadn’t paid a bill they “NEVER” sent a statement for. In short we received the red notice before we had even received our invoice! The time just wasn’t right to get her.

She was always on my mind. I also felt like God was playing tricks on me. Every website I clicked on, every TV channel I tuned to showed her smiling at me, calling my name. I couldn’t escape her in the shops either. It was now a topic of discussion amongst the ladies at work. They all spoke about how much they loved their babies. I started to feel left out. I started to feel like I was wasting my love on other undeserving things.

Five months ago, I was whisking eggs for a “Mississippi Mud Pie” with a hand held whisker; my arms hurt so much I had to take a few breaks in between. I also noticed that there was still a lot of liquid at the bottom of the bowl that didn’t get whisked. I felt frustrated and at that moment she crept into my head again. Right! It was time to put a plan in place. I may not be able to afford her now but with time I could. I could cut back on some unnecessary expenses and put money aside monthly. I could make this work. I can make it work!

Bit by bit, I saved. I cut down on the number of Body Shop’s Body Butter tubs I bought monthly. Funny thing is I never ever run out of body butters because I am always stocking up. I figured if I didn’t buy any for the rest of the year I would still have enough to last till next March! I also reduced the number of times I visited Marks and Spencer. I convinced myself that Sainsbury’s was good enough. Bit by bit I gathered money so I could afford my long awaited baby.

While I was saving up I kept looking at scans of her, anticipating her arrival. I looked at her everyday. I couldn’t wait to show her off to friends and family. I couldn’t wait to discuss her with work colleagues. I couldn’t wait to be part of this cool exciting club.

After nine months, I was ready for my baby to be delivered. I called the consultants to let them know I was ready and fully prepared. The very next day she arrived. Brand new and glimmering. I was in love!

Courtesy of John Lewis
I have christened her Kofo. She is absolutely beautiful. And I cannot wait to show you all the scrumptious food I am going to prepare lovingly with her. Oh my!

6 comments:

  1. Did you spray paint it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol was thinking the same as wifey... Please save me triple chocolate cake...

    S..

    ReplyDelete
  3. shes a beauty ...hope she does you proud.
    Chef Ray of the Secret African Kitchen in london

    ReplyDelete